Single Stream Recycling
Recycling is easy. Simply place all recyclables into one bin at your curbside and the items will be sorted at the plant! Items that can be single-streamed include:
- Aluminum Cans
- Aseptic containers: multi-layered plastic, paper, metal packaging usually containing juice, soy milk, broth and other liquids
- Bimetal Cans
- Cardboard (flattened)
- Glass Jars and Bottles
- Newspaper with inserts
- Office Paper/Junk Mail
- Plastic 1 through 7 and Plastic Caps
- Telephone Books
Recycling bins are available for pick up at the Hempfield Township Municipal Building. Please note that all Hempfield Volunteer Fire Department locations are for paper recycling only and not single stream.
Recycle - It’s the Law
One Container. No Sorting. No Kidding! The easiest way to recycle is here in Hempfield and surrounding areas - from Advanced Disposal!
Place all your recyclable materials in one container with no separating or sorting needed. We’ll do it for you! Just a few simple guidelines outlined to avoid any service interruptions:
- Place all your recyclable material in your recycle container(s) furnished by Hempfield Township without separating or sorting! The containers need to be clearly marked as recyclable materials.
- Large volumes of glass and newspaper can increase the weight of your recycling container(s). Please assure the weight of one container doesn’t exceed 50-pounds.
- All cardboard must be broken down flat and shall be no more than 3-feet in length or width. Since most recycling containers don’t have lids we recommend bundling or using paper bags for cardboard and paper to eliminate litter on windy days.
- Please be reminded that recycling is mandatory and that recyclables are collected every other week. Your recyclable items must be in a recycling container. To obtain a container, call Hempfield Township at 724-834-7232.
Items That Can Be Recycled
Recycle all of these items in your Single Sort Recycle Container:
- All cardboard must be broken down so that it is flat and no more than 3-feet in length or width
- Boxboard, small flat pieces of corrugated cardboard box material
- Glass bottles and jars
- Metal beverage and food cans
- Paper from news, magazines, junk mail, dry non-coated food paper
- Rinsed plastic containers (types 1 through 7)
Items that Cannot Be Recycled
These items cannot be recycled, put them in your trash container:
- Freezer food packaging
- Garbage, food waste, paper plates
- Hangers, old plastic toys
- Meat or dairy plastic or paper packaging
- No styrofoam packaging and/or cups
- Plastic bags or wrapping film
- Plastic deli, product or take-out packaging or utensils
- Plastic wrap or bags
- Window glass, ceramics or dishware, mirror, light bulbs