Reporting a Power Outage
If you are without service, call us at 1-800-255-3443. To report an outage, simply say power outage. For other electrical emergencies, say hazard.
Prepare an Emergency Kit
Being prepared for a power outage can help to reduce your inconvenience until service is restored. A typical emergency kit should include:
- A battery-powered radio with fresh batteries
- Camping equipment such as sleeping bags, a portable lamp or lantern, and a camp stove
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Matches and a supply of candles
- A portable heater (such as kerosene or propane)
- A telephone that does not require electricity to operate, cordless phones do not work when the power is off
- Water for drinking and cooking
Prior planning is your best ally during a power outage, but keep in mind that some of the temporary measures you take during a service interruption require extreme caution:
- Be sure that candles, oil lamps, stoves, and portable heaters are properly ventilated.
- Always refuel lamps and heaters outside and away from sparks or flames.
- Never store fuel in the house.
- Be careful when using candles or oil lamps, especially around children.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. (Note: An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold for about 4 hours).
- If it looks like the power outage will continue beyond a day, prepare a cooler with ice for your freezer items.