Gas Outages & Problems
Peoples Natural Gas Company
Dominion Peoples has been sold and is now Peoples Natural Gas Company. Peoples Natural Gas Company can be reached by calling 1-800-764-0111 for customer information and services. For emergencies, call 1-800-400-4271.
The emergency number for Columbia Gas is 1-800-344-4077. Columbia Gas reminds customers to clear snow and ice from gas meters and urges customers to follow home heating safety tips.
In light of this weekend’s significant snowfall, plus the forecast of additional snow this week, Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania, Inc. and Columbia Gas of Maryland, Inc. are urging customers to keep their natural gas meter clear of snow and ice, and to practice some simple home heating safety tips. In addition, for those Columbia Gas customers without electric service, the company is encouraging customers to use alternate heating sources sparingly and safely.
Natural Gas Meter Safety
Outdoor natural gas meters and equipment are designed to withstand winter weather conditions, but heavy or hard-packed snow and ice on the meter could present a condition that temporarily stops the flow of natural gas or creates a potential safety hazard. To help avoid these types of problems, customers are urged to follow some basic tips:
- Keep your natural gas meter clear of ice and snow
- Make sure your natural gas meter is visible at all times and accessible for maintenance and emergency responders (i.e. Columbia Gas service personnel, meter readers and emergency responders)
- Keep natural gas vents unobstructed and free of debris some direct-vent and high-efficiency appliances have direct side wall outdoor vents and air intakes that could become obstructed during heavy snow fall
- Never kick or hit your natural gas meter or its piping with a hammer to break away built-up snow or ice, remove the snow or ice with your hands
Using Secondary Heating Sources Sparingly & Safely
For those customers whose electric service has not been restored, Columbia Gas is reminding those customers to use secondary heating sources sparingly and safely in an effort to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless non-corrosive gas created whenever combustion takes place without sufficient oxygen and has proven to be very poisonous - and lethal - if allowed to accumulate in enclosed spaces. Malfunctioning appliances and/or improper venting are major sources of carbon monoxide. Customers are urged to follow some basic home heating safety tips:
- Make certain carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors are operating properly
- Make certain all fuel-burning equipment (coal, wood, natural gas, propane, etc.) is installed, inspected and operating properly
- Do not use natural gas ranges or stovetops for heat
- Provide adequate ventilation when using fireplaces or unvented space heaters
- Stoves, ovens, and outdoor grills should never be used a source of heat
Carbon Monoxide Related Symptoms
Carbon monoxide may cause any or all of the following symptoms:
- Feeling ill or tired at home, but feeling fine away from home
- Irregular breathing
- Loss of consciousness and respiratory failure
- Ringing in the ears
- Seeing spots
Household symptoms include foul-smelling or stale air, the smell of exhaust fumes, a yellow or orange flame on natural gas ranges and stoves, as well as soot around the outside of a chimney, furnace or water heater flue vent, or large areas of condensation of water vapor on walls or windows. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning or a natural gas leak, leave the home immediately, and then contact 911.