NEW – For Residents: Refuse and Recycling
Effective January 1, 2016
Advanced Disposal is pleased to continue to provide trash and recycling collection services to Hempfield township.
To learn more about residential waste and recycling services, click here.
Refuse and Recycling Fee Schedule
Mandatory Pickup and Recycling
Every homeowner must have an account with Advanced Disposal for refuse service. Bills from Advanced Disposal are mailed out quarterly. Failure to pay your invoice will result in refuse service being cut off, thereby constituting a violation of the Township mandatory garbage pickup ordinance.
Note: Transporting your residential garbage to your business is also considered a violation.
Recycling and Garbage for residential customers is picked up weekly by Advanced Disposal. Recycling containers are available at no charge at the Hempfield Township Municipal Building.
In addition, commercial businesses are reminded to annually send their recycling reports provided from their contracted garbage hauler to the Township of Hempfield.
Customer Service Department
Billing Office Hours:
Monday through Friday,
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Westmoreland Cleanways and Recycling
- GARBAGE SERVICE – Advanced Disposal provides curbside collection of unlimited household waste. This includes normal household waste, grass clippings, furniture bundled carpet cut in 4-ft lengths, and appliances. Please when disposing of bulk items, put out only 1 per week. Garbage (food waste) and rubbish shall be stored in a container which shall have a tight fitting cover, have suitable handles, be watertight and fly proof and be able to be carried easily by the collector. For disposal of construction, demolition or remodeling material, please contact Advanced Disposal for dumpster rental information.
- SERVICE RESTRICTIONS – Due to state and local regulations, the following materials are prohibited from collection: automotive, batteries, tires, paint, medical waste including needles and syringes, chemicals. liquids, and hazardous waste such as asbestos, gasoline, or oil. Appliances with refrigerants (Freon) may only be collected if a sticker is placed on the appliance, by a certified technician, certifying the refrigerants have been removed. Brush, branches or tree limbs may not exceed 4 inches in diameter. Material must be bundled not to exceed 4 feet in length. Please place your rubbish in standard 32-gallon trash containers or heavy plastic bags securely tied. Bags and/or cans may not exceed 50 lbs.
- HOLIDAY SCHEDULE – There is no trash collection on the following six holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Pick up will be delayed one day if the above official holiday is on a Monday through Friday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, there is no change in service day for that week. Monday, January 21st, 2019 Martin Luther King Day; No Garbage Pickup; Pickup will be delayed by 1 day the rest of the week.
- COLLECTION DAY SCHEDULE – Please contact our customer service department at 1-800-437-1759 for a street by street listing of collection days.
- SENIOR CITIZEN STICKER PROGRAM – Senior citizen stickers will no longer be sold at the Township Building. These may now be purchased by contacting Advanced Disposal directly at 1-800-437-1759 or by visiting www.advanceddisposal.com.
- ELECTRONIC WASTE RECYCLING -Electronic wastes will be collected from each resident who requests this service. This service is NOT available for commercial establishments. Items to be collected will include the following: Computers * Stereo’s * TV’s *Monitors * Electronic appliances * Keyboards *CD/DVD Players *VCR’s *Florescent light bulbs * Auto Batteries; To schedule a pickup of the above items, please call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-437-1759. Identify yourself and inform the Representative that you are from Hempfield Township PA in Westmoreland County. Give your name, address, phone number, and electronic item that we will be collecting. You will be given a day of collection for your recyclable electronic device. Please note that this date may or may not be on your regular trash collection day, as these items are collected separately. Items must be placed at curb by 4:00 a.m. the day of collection. All electronics must be placed curbside. No electronic items will be collected in alleys.
- HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE COLLECTION – Household Hazardous Waste will collected from each resident who requests this service. This service is NOT available for commercial establishments. To schedule a collection of these items please call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-437-1759. Identify yourself and inform the Representative that you are from Hempfield Township PA in Westmoreland County. Give your name, address, phone number and type of Household Hazardous Waste that you will be disposing of. Advanced Disposal will send to each resident a containment bag which the wastes must be placed in. If you have different wastes that could be flammable, please inform the Customer Care Representative so more than 1 bag can be shipped to your residence. You will then be scheduled a pick up day for your waste items. Please note that Household Hazardous Waste cannot be placed at the curb, but must be within 25 feet of the curb in plain sight for the collector. No items will be collected in alleys or garage areas due to the type of vehicle and materials handled.
- LEAF PICK – UP SCHEDULE – Advanced Disposal Schedule for Saturday Leaf Pick-Ups — On-Call Basis: Leaf Collection will now be provided on an On-Call basis for approved dates. Resident must contact Advanced Disposal Services Customer Care (1-800-437-1759) to schedule a pickup for the leaf collection. ALL LEAVES MUST BE CONTAINED IN PAPER COMPOSTABLE BAGS. (No Plastic Bags). Collection dates for Spring 2019 Leaf Pickup will be: March 16, 2019, March 30, 2019, April 13, 2019, and April 27, 2019. For more information please download Hempfield Twp Leaf Collection Flyer 2019
Refuse and Recycling Downloads
Recycling Center Flyer
2013 New Rules for Disposing of Electronic Devices
Household Hazardous Waste Program
Hazardous Waste Training Guide
Recycling is easy. Simply place ALL recyclables into one bin at your curbside and the items will be sorted at the plant! Items that can be single-streamed include:
- Newspaper with inserts
- Telephone Books
- Plastic #1 – #7 & Plastic Caps
- Office Paper/Junk Mail
- Aluminum Cans
- Glass Jars & Bottles
- Cardboard (flattened)
- Bimetal Cans
- Aseptic containers: multi-layered plastic, paper, metal packaging usually containing juice, soy milk, broth and other liquids
Please note that all Hempfield Volunteer Fire Department locations are for PAPER RECYCLING ONLY and NOT SINGLE STREAM.
One Container. No Sorting. No Kidding!
The easiest way to recycle is here in Hempfield and surrounding areas – from Advanced Disposal!
Place all your recyclable materials in one container with no separating or sorting needed. We’ll do it for you! Just a few simple guidelines outlined below to avoid any service interruptions:
- Place all your recyclable material in your RECYCLE container(s) furnished by Hempfield Township without separating or sorting! The containers need to be clearly marked as recyclable materials.
- Large volumes of glass and newspaper can increase the weight of your recycling
container(s). Please assure the weight of one container doesn’t exceed 50-pounds.
- All cardboard must be broken down flat and shall be no more than 3-feet in length or width. Since most recycling containers don’t have lids we recommend bundling or using paper bags for cardboard and paper to eliminate litter on windy days.
- Please be reminded that recycling is mandatory and that recyclables are collected every other week. Your recyclable items must be in a recycling container. To obtain a container, call Hempfield Township at 724-834-7232.
Recycle all of these items in your
Single Sort Recycle Container
- Glass bottles and jars
- Metal beverage and food cans
- Rinsed plastic containers (types 1 through 7)
- Paper from news, magazines, junk mail, dry non-coated food paper
- Boxboard, small flat pieces of corrugated cardboard box material
- All cardboard must be broken down so that it is flat and no more than 3-feet in length or width
These items cannot be recycled.
Put them in your trash container.
- Garbage, food waste, diapers, paper plates, hangers, old plastic toys
- Meat or dairy plastic or paper packaging
- Plastic wrap or bags
- Freezer food packaging
- Plastic deli, product or take-out packaging or utensils
- Window glass, ceramics or dishware, mirror, light bulbs
- Plastic bags or wrapping film
- NO styrofoam packaging and/or cups