What to Do in a Weather Emergency

Reporting a Power Outage

If you are without service, call us at 1-800-Allegheny (1-800-255-3443). To report an outage, simply say “power outage.” For other electrical emergencies, say “hazard.”

Prepare an emergency kit

Being prepared for a power outage can help to reduce your inconvenience until service is restored. A typical emergency kit should include:

  • Flashlights and extra batteries.
  • Matches and a supply of candles.
  • A battery-powered radio with fresh batteries.
  • Water for drinking and cooking.
  • A portable heater (such as kerosene or LP gas).
  • Camping equipment such as sleeping bags, a portable lamp or lantern, and a camp stove.
  • A telephone that does not require electricity to operate. Cordless phones do not work when the power is off.

Safety

Prior planning is your best ally during a power outage, but keep in mind that some of the temporary measures you take during a service interruption require extreme caution:

  • Be sure that candles, oil lamps, stoves, and portable heaters are properly ventilated.
  • Always refuel lamps and heaters outside and away from sparks or flames.
  • Never store fuel in the house.
  • Be careful when using candles or oil lamps, especially around children.
  • Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. (NOTE: An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold for about 4 hours).
  • If it looks like the power outage will continue beyond a day, prepare a cooler with ice for your freezer items.

Gas Outage or Problem

Peoples Natural Gas Company

Dominion Peoples has been sold and is now Peoples Natural Gas Company. Peoples Natural Gas Company can be reached in the following ways:

  • For customer information and services call: 1-800-764-0111
  • For emergencies call: 1-800-400-4271
  • www.peoples-gas.com

Columbia Gas

Columbia Gas – emergency number at 1-800-344-4077.

Columbia Gas Reminds Customers to Clear Snow & Ice from Gas Meters and Urges Customers to Follow Home Heating Safety Tips

In light of this weekend’s significant snowfall, plus the forecast of additional snow this week, Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania, Inc. and Columbia Gas of Maryland, Inc. are urging customers to keep their natural gas meter clear of snow and ice, and to practice some simple home heating safety tips.

In addition, for those Columbia Gas customers without electric service, the company is encouraging customers to use alternate heating sources sparingly and safely.

Natural Gas Meter Safety

Outdoor natural gas meters and equipment are designed to withstand winter weather conditions, but heavy or hard-packed snow and ice on the meter could present a condition that temporarily stops the flow of natural gas or creates a potential safety hazard.

To help avoid these types of problems, customers are urged to follow some basic tips:

  • Keep your natural gas meter clear of ice and snow;
  • Make sure your natural gas meter is visible at all times and accessible for maintenance and emergency responders (i.e. Columbia Gas service personnel, meter readers and emergency responders);
  • Keep natural gas vents unobstructed and free of debris Some direct-vent and high-efficiency appliances have direct side wall outdoor vents and air intakes that could become obstructed during heavy snow fall; and
  • Never kick or hit your natural gas meter or its piping with a hammer to break away built-up snow or ice. Remove the snow or ice with your hands.

Use Secondary Heating Sources Sparingly & Safely

For those customers whose electric service has not been restored, Columbia Gas is reminding those customers to use secondary heating sources sparingly and safely in an effort to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless non-corrosive gas created whenever combustion takes place without sufficient oxygen and has proven to be very poisonous – and lethal – if allowed to accumulate in enclosed spaces. Malfunctioning appliances and/or improper venting are major sources of carbon monoxide.

Customers are urged to follow some basic home heating safety tips:

  • Make certain carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors are operating properly;
  • Make certain all fuel-burning equipment (coal, wood, natural gas, propane, pellet stoves, Kerosene and fuel oil) is installed, inspected and operating properly;
  • Do not use natural gas ranges or stovetops for heat;
  • Provide adequate ventilation when using fireplaces or unvented space heaters; and
  • Stoves, ovens, and outdoor grills should never be used a source of heat.

Carbon monoxide may cause any or all of the following symptoms:

  • Human symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, irregular breathing, ringing in the ears, seeing spots, feeling ill or tired at home, but feeling fine away from home, as well as loss of consciousness and respiratory failure.
  • Household symptoms include foul-smelling or stale air, the smell of exhaust fumes, a yellow or orange flame on natural gas ranges and stoves, as well as soot around the outside of a chimney, furnace or water heater flue vent, or large areas of condensation of water vapor on walls or windows.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning or a natural gas leak, leave the home immediately, and then contact 911.

Township of Hempfield

Greensburg-Hempfield Business Park
1132 Woodward Drive
Greensburg, PA 15601-9310

724-834-7232
info@hempfieldtwp.com

Sitemap :: Contact Us

Headlining Hemfield